NJ PARENTS: TUITION HELP COULD BE ON THE WAY. ACT NOW!


NJ PARENTS: TUITION HELP COULD BE ON THE WAY. ACT NOW!

$12 million in scholarships for Pennsylvania
$9 million in scholarships for Arizona
$700,000 in scholarships for Rhode Island
How many corporate tax credit scholarships can we generate in New Jersey??

CALL YOUR SENATOR AND EXPRESS YOUR SUPPORT FOR S-1872, THE OPPORTUNITY SCHOLARSHIP ACT

A bill scheduled for a hearing in the New Jersey State Senate this Thursday has the potential to generate millions of dollars in tuition assistance for New Jersey families. S-1872, the Opportunity Scholarship Act, which was introduced by NJ Senators Ray Lesniak, Tom Kean and Joe Kyrillos, will be heard before the Senate Economic Growth Committee on May 13, and we need YOU to express your support!

The bill, which has won the public support of Governor Chris Christie, would create a corporate tax credit program whereby corporations could make donations to a scholarship pool and receive a tax credit in return. 25% of the funds would be slated for private school students in districts with chronically failing public schools. The remaining 75% of funds would go to public school students in failing schools.

At the outset, the scholarship program would help families in Lakewood, Passaic and Elizabeth. However, any scholarship money not distributed by August 15 can be expanded to other localities in the same counties, and so we urge our entire constituency to contact their Senator in support of the bill.

Similar programs in other states have raised millions of dollars for yeshivas and day schools: Over $12 million in scholarships has been distributed in neighboring Pennsylvania to almost 5,000 students. In Arizona, scholarships totaling nearly $9 million were awarded to private school students. In Rhode Island, with fewer than 100 students, they’ve raised over $700,000 in two years.

Remember: the 170,000 students in nonpublic schools save New Jersey taxpayers over $2.75 billion each year.

This bill needs our support! Call your Senator and express your support for S-1872, the Opportunity Scholarship Act.

To find your legislator, click here.